Saturday, 12 January 2013

Five candles


Darcy was just two when he first requested I make this cake for his birthday. It is incredibly rich and decadent (three entire blocks of dark chocolate!), stuffed with fresh cherries and smothered with chocolate ganache. And because he is a summer baby, every year he decorates it with summer berries from nearby farms. Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and cherries. He has done so each year since he turned three not long after we moved down here. Lewis came running to find me in the garden, gasping "Mum, Darcy is putting the berries on the cake by himself!" I leapt up the stairs, expecting a glorious mess, only to find the most daintily decorated cake.

This year I prepared for the party solo while Grant was away at summer school. What was I thinking? Never again! Keeping small sticky fingers away from the party food proved difficult, but I knew the cake was in good hands - so long as we kept Quinn occupied elsewhere. Five little friends (we invite the same number of children as the age of the child) joined us for afternoon tea, a treasure hunt in the garden and some energetic jumping on Darcy's new trampoline.

Five is such an exciting age. And while I will be very sad to wave him off at the school gate once he starts pre-primary in a few weeks' time, I am happy to see this confident little boy emerging. Such a gentle little soul, Darcy has always seemed to know his place in the world. And he will be taking big steps out into it this year. Happy birthday beautiful boy.


3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday darling Darcy! Lots of adventures and fun ahead this year for sure! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison, I'm not usually the teary type but this post and your words made me well up. Maybe because your little family sounds similar in many ways to the family I grew up in. With this post I remembered my little sister starting school 8 years ago; so excited to be finally going to what her siblings all went to. For a while, Mum had to give her "homework" and she would sit at the table with us and feel part of it all.

    That cake is beautiful too - oh, the berries. 3 blocks of dark chocolate ?!?! I bet it's delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday little fella, I think you have wonderful taste in cakes. No wonder it's requested each year.
    A big year ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.