Tuesday, 8 January 2013

summer road trip


We loaded the car as high as the roof on Christmas Eve's eve and headed east. Breaking the journey in a tiny seaside town, we slept beneath billowing lace curtains for one night before ten nights under canvas in seaside campgrounds. Christmas was a windblown affair beneath the gum trees, with a trip across the peninsula to dip our toes in the bluest of waters, at the whitest of white sand beaches I have ever seen. The festivities have continued since we returned home last week; with a housewarming and a blessing to prepare for and guests arriving from across the land. There was a birthday in there somewhere as well (mine), New Years Eve with old friends beneath the craggy peaks of the Barrens  and a little boy who is turning five tomorrow. The cake is baked and the presents wrapped. And when the last party bag has been handed out, then I shall take a deep breath and embrace this new year in all its shining glory.









8 comments:

  1. Your Christmas break sounds a lot like ours (though no canvas for us!) - hope 2013 is a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could command the wind when camping! I'm guessing that's you in the bikini? Looking glorious :) how is it having a child's birthday close to the festive season? I was worried about it adding to the hecticness of the period but we are further away from Christmas and New Years than I ever imagined we would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is me and my 24-weeks pregnant belly in the photo. Darcy's birthday is not too close to Christmas to be a problem - mine is only five days after and I have never minded (although I never seemed to own many winter clothes!) But this summer has been particularly busy and I have vowed to never again have back to back parties, nor prepare for a kid's birthday party solo. I have been recovering in the hammock today.

      Delete
  3. Looks like an incredible holiday. That water! Happy birthday to you, and your little five-year-old x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this today after thinking "I wonder how Allison is going," - nice to come here and read of your wonderful sounding holiday time. I hope that the party went well.. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. happy new year! you look glowing in the picture - is the sea really that light blue? amazing. x

      Delete
    2. It really is! Except possibly even bluer than was captured in the picture. Happy new year to you too! x

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos of one of the most beautiful parts of our state and happy belated birthday lovely! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.