Monday, 4 February 2013

Fledgings


I waved my two little fledgings off to school this morning, and came home to tend to our newest hatchlings - who emerged from their shells on the very last day of school holidays. Five beautiful little balls of fluff taking tentative forays from under their mothers' wings to stagger around the feed bowl and back again. 

That is a bit how the first day of pre-primary felt for Darcy and me. He spent morning circle with his face buried into the couch by my side, but was circling the playground on his tricycle by the time I left and will be coming home for a slice of plum cake on the back lawn very soon. 

He is looking forward to taking a chick in for news next week. A yellow one, as white blond as he. Only with much fluffier feet. 

For some reason I tear up whenever I watch this film clip - thinking of my own little ones flying the nest. But it is still a rocking good tune, and will no doubt be played on high rotation to the chicks when they come to pay us house visits, smuggled in from the garden in little boys' hands.





10 comments:

  1. New baby chicks AND a new kitchen. We definitely need to come and visit!

    I'm off to pick up my girl and bring her home for some zucchini cake on the back lawn.

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn is desperate for a play date with Elliot, and I think a cup of tea on the deck is long overdue!

      Delete
  2. so cute. so soft. I love the speckled one. And similar plum cake making wavelengths here - a whole 3kg of foraged cherry plums to use up .. Also - Darcy be the class favourite when he does news with a wee chick! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your plum cakes turned out beautifully. We tried an upside down cake this time - yum! No crumbs left now.

      Delete
  3. It's hard isn't it? Letting them go? I think I'm going to be terrible at it, the trout already brings tears to my eyes, but I'm hoping that's just beast feeding hormones, too much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trout?! I only saw a crocodile...

      Delete
  4. Oh wow great blog, stumbled along this tonight and such a delight. Love love the new babies, funny as I only did a post about these sweet babies tonight. Love the blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Josh Pyke and that song, my boys do too.
    Alison have you read "Someday"?- Alison McGhee Your post reminded me of it. Has me in absolute pieces every time I open the book.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xuxcNcteTY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just had a little weep watching it Brydie. Might have to get my hands on a copy! x

      Delete
    2. Alison I think it's even more emotional just reading it yourself. I had to put it in the corner of the bookshelf for a long time before I could open it again. It's pretty amazing that such a simple book can tap into so much emotion for the reader.
      Sending a warm belly rub to you mama.
      xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.