Sunday, 10 February 2013

Our magic beach


For a few weeks of the summer holidays we have to share our beaches with the holidaying hordes from the city. The population of our sleepy little town trebles over Christmas and New Years. But come Australia Day, like magic, the beaches and streets empty. We wandered down to our favourite swimming spot on the last weekend of school holidays and had the bay virtually all to ourselves, with just a few locals stroking laps across the pool.

The bigger boys had swimming lessons there each morning for the last two weeks of January. Lewis finally conquered his fear of the deeper water and was very excited about taking me out to Bombie Rock to jump into the depths and snorkel around the granite boulders that rear out of the bay. It felt like such a milestone to be really swimming with my boy, and sharing with him the wonders of the world beneath the waves. We came home and looked up the fish we did not know in a book of local sea life, and he was back in the rockpools with his head below water exploring yesterday.

Darcy did not take to lessons, and spent the fortnight observing his class from a distance. He is still wary of groups of people he does not know - even of those he does - and the crowds did not help. But once the beaches emptied he was straight back into the water, paddling through the shallows with his bodyboard.

Quinn and I have a date with the water tomorrow morning, once his big brothers are both back at school. He loves to throw seaweed into the swirling currents and leap over the rippling waves. And with my belly growing bigger everyday, there is no place I would rather be.




10 comments:

  1. Yes, you must be quite warm! We only made it to the beach once this summer so far, so much for my plans when we were in the city. We did try another time but at nine in the morning there was already a really strong wind. We have a wedding on Rottnest this weekend though, so hopefully there'll be some more beach swimming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there is no way you can leave Rotto without a swim Maggie. Have a wonderful time! xx

      Delete
  2. Carefullу реrmіt gο аnd then еѕtablished the ѕpidеr upѕiԁе doωn (with its legs
    in thе аir) tо ԁry. Τhese pгoԁuсts are tгaditіonallу seen in аll vaгіаtions of homeѕ, evеn іndіviduals that arеn't intended to be 'green'. Material markers have even been made use of and can be effective to contact-up the locations on the footwear exactly where the colour did not just take (the seams mainly).
    My blog :: http://www.100zakladok.ru/headcarl40

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings I am so grateful I found your website, I really found you
    by error, while I was browsing on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now and would
    just like to say cheers for a fantastic post and a all round interesting blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it
    all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much
    more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

    my web site; www1.harenet.ne.jp

    ReplyDelete
  4. you live in a place that reminds me so much of the Greek Islands. I have never been to WA, despite travelling the world, but lately Denmark seems to be cropping up a lot in the conversations of people I know. I feel I am destined to get there one day. Keep posting your beautiful pictures and I may be there sooner rather than later. We also live at the beach, in a tourist destination, and like you, are enjoying having our space back. beautiful blog. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh WA, i have to meet you one day! your beach looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you foг shаrіng your thoughts.

    I reаlly aρρrеciate youг effoгts аnd I will be wаіting for уour furthеr writе ups
    thanks οnce again.

    my websitе ... Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really iѕ a chef's phrase for 'a aгea for anything and еverything and every little
    thing in іtѕ place'. Masonry heaters consist of a little fireplace box built to ratio with the smoke chamber previously mentioned. Move forward 11 miles, and watch carefully for the indication to Laupahoehoe Position Beach front Park on the best.

    Also visit my page ... old stone oven 4467 14 inch by 16 inch baking stone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey very nice blog!

    My page :: a photo

    ReplyDelete
  9. An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a colleague who had been doing a little homework on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your site.

    my blog: in video O2HyperTScUmmer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.