Friday, 31 May 2013

Gardening with Thea


We headed outside to soak up the last of the autumn sunshine last week. Thea slept swaddled in cotton and muslin in her hammock, swinging from the verandah's rafters while I pulled weeds, leaning over the rails to bounce her back to sleep with dirt beneath my nails.

The garden had grown wild in the two months I had left it abandoned; with rocket, radishes, bok choy and mustard greens crowding out the gravel on the driveway and cherry tomatoes clambering between the garden beds. After a day of rhythmic pulling, carting and composting all is orderly once more. There is celery, onions, broccoli and Tuscan kale of the deepest green. We might even get some more tomatoes before winter closes in. We picked the last of the pumpkins and they are lined up on the back verandah with boxes of apples waiting to be tucked away in the cellar.

After a very gentle month adjusting to life as a family of six we have found our rhythm. Thea is six weeks old today and it feels like she has been here always.






7 comments:

  1. How utterly beautiful. Great to read inspiring things being done by women with newborns....I've never managed it. Maybe next time. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Thea your little hand!
    Makes me want to go and cuddle into the warmth of my own littlest one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congratulations to you all....she is truly divine. Enjoy this special time x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Alison, she's so sweet! And she has such dark hair. Were the boys born with dark hair? ... And a great photo of the apples. I love the wooden box. xx L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys were all as blond, as blond can be. But as you can see Thea's brown thatch is fast falling out and coming back a bit more fair. I finally got to the post office with a parcel for Elijah that has been sitting on my desk for weeks, waiting for me to write a card. Hope you are all doing well! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh Alison, she is just gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.