Monday, 30 June 2014

musical beds



Our eldest son turned nine yesterday. It felt pretty big - halfway to 18 and adulthood. When he came home from school on Friday I walked him into his new bedroom. It was the first time he had slept in a room by himself since I started tucking his baby brother in beside him when he was three. He said it felt a little bit lonely but by sunrise that brother had tiptoed across the hallway and climbed, giggling, in beside him.

In the endless game of musical beds we play around here, we will be moving Thea down the hall from our room to sleep with her big brothers. Her clothes have moved out of the little cabinet in the hallway too, and into the drawers and wardrobe in the kids' room. Lewis now shares the room I use as a writing and sewing space with me - I have the front half during school hours and he inhabits the back half when he is home. I think it will work.

I had been gathering bits and pieces to make the space his own for the past six months. Sewing curtains, and a cushion to pad the top of our old toy chest, and pestering Grant to mount some old (and endearingly misspelled) wooden packing cases on the wall. They now house Lewis' collection of fantasy books, lego constructions and general ephemera. A watercolour decal of a soft grey rabbit, rather like his old pet bunny Storm, was stuck on just before he got home.

We took him ten pin bowling with five of his friends to celebrate his birthday, and he came home with a battered old bowling pin as a souvenir. I found the pin tucked in next to him when I went to kiss him goodnight. "Today was the best day of my life," he told me in a voice full of joy. "It was like going to the Royal Show and then a Dockers' game; it was that good."









9 comments:

  1. Hi Alison, I'm new to your blog and I think it's wonderful. My son will also be nine soon, in September, and I'm always looking for ways to spruce up his room for a bigger boy. I really love the bunting and the way you've arranged the books on the wall. Happy belated birthday to your son. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! He was so happy to have his books back as they had been lurking under the bed for several months. It takes at least that long to get them on the wall around here!

      Delete
  2. Alison - what an amazing job you've done with this space. I love all the details. The map, the bunting, the boxes, the curtains! Happy Birthday Lewis. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, such sweet words from your boy. Your heart must have melted!

    I love the room. I have been hanging on to three wooden crates to do the same thing, I think it looks so great! Love the spotty curtains and the map too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a sucker for an old wooden box! I have them everywhere - mostly scavenged from Grandma's shed.

      Delete
  4. Such a creative and cosy room no wonder your son look so happy. I have an 18 month old and 7. I'm hoping eventually they will be able to share but for now the little one is still with me. I am new to your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting Zena. Moving our little ones across to their own room has always been a very gradual process - but there is something about being with the other kids that makes it much easier.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous room you've put together. I love all the details. And I love the way your sweet boy described his joy over his wonderful birthday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.