Friday, 9 January 2015

Seven


Another year, another chocolate berry cake. We are having a birthday party free year, but that didn't stop the cake. Darcy still maintains it is his birth right for being a summer born babe, and I heartily agree.

I have friends who think their younger children grow up faster than their first borns. They have bigger expectations of them from a younger age. But I am finding the reverse to be true. When Lewis turned seven he seemed suddenly so much bigger. But my Darcy still seems so very young to me. He has lost five teeth but he slips into a size three with ease, and people are always mistaking him and his four-year-old brother for twins. He held high hopes that he would be allowed out of his car booster seat today, but I think he has a few inches to go yet.

But it is more the enduring innocence I sense in all my children than their physical size that has me thinking about the seven year old shift and what it means. Darcy is walking away from his infancy but it is a very gradual letting go. We will be marking the milestone with a night alone together out on the track, just like I did with his brother two years ago.

Those two and a half years have been full of baby for me, and it will be my first time out hiking since I fell pregnant with Thea. I hefted the pack onto my back to check its weight after packing it in the shed this afternoon and it didn't seem too bad, despite the 8kg of water stashed in its base. I think carrying a baby around is pretty good practice for long distance hiking. Leftover birthday cake could help too...










4 comments:

  1. What a delightful scene, your children decorating the cake with seasonal fruit. Yum! Happy birthday to the big boy. The track looks like a breathtaking hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zena! We're back from our big adventure and feasting on leftover cake.

      Delete
  2. Sounds perfect Alison. That's the kind of cakes that get requested a lot round here too.
    Happy hiking with your boy. I suspect there might be a few long exhalations while walking this time. Enjoy them mama. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were quite a few deep breaths Brydie! My first night away from my baby ever, and I was a little worried how she would go after Christmas, but it was good. Very good! xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.