Thursday, 12 March 2015

the end of summer



Warm days and cool nights. Crisp mornings with mist in the valleys as I head down the hill to the gym before the kids wake up. An orange sun hanging low in the sky. Smoke and rainbows and thunderstorms and dry, dry earth. A desiccated vegetable garden. The smell of the water hitting the dry straw as I hand water each bed with a kinky length of green garden hose. Stolen hours at the beach each weekend, a surfboard and a novel tucked into the car as I wave goodbye to the kids. Tired children roaming around the garden, finding themselves again after long days at school. Knitting on the front verandah after a long summer hiatus. Full nights of sleep soaking into my soul after a decade of broken dreams rousing for the baby. The end of summer.

7 comments:

  1. What?! Your baby is sleeping through?? Lucky you! :)
    We had a couple of cooler days and I thought maybe we were sliding in to Autumn, but no, back at 40 today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is - most of the time! We have had some very early starts since she stopped wearing nappies a few weeks ago but I can handle being up with the birds when I have had an uninterrupted night's sleep. Hoping some rain hits the wheatbelt soon. xx

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful imagery Alison. The thing that struck me the most is the full nights sleep... oh it's absolutely bliss after being without it for so long isn't it. There's been a hint of Autumn just today, I'm curious to see whether she'll stick around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think autumn is definitely here to stay, but am expecting to meet summer again when we head north for the holidays. Sleep, for the chronically sleep-deprived, is a sweet thing indeed!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful description of life from the transition of one season to another. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.