Monday, 1 February 2016

The start of something


When I was at university the opening paragraphs of my best essays would often come to me in my dreams. I would read and read, and talk over ideas with my mum as we walked around the river after dinner each night, and then when I was asleep the ideas would coalesce and I would wake up knowing exactly what I wanted to say.

For the past year I have been researching the novel I intend to write; those words that have been waiting for my own babies to grow up enough to give me the space to write them down. I have sifted through histories and biographies, newspaper articles and university dissertations. I hunkered down at the State Library and listened to cassettes of oral histories and flicked through microfiche and educational film reels. I even got to put on white gloves to turn through the yellowed pages of old newspapers.

Last week I cleared my desk, sorting through the piles of back to school stationery lists and doctors' bills. I took the pile of black and white photographs from the drawer of my Grandmothers' desk and stuck them on to the wall above my writing space. And then, last night, I dreamt that I was there, in the tobacco sheds, the action unfolding like a black and white film around me. Today I sent my three boys off to school together for the first time. Tomorrow I will sit down and write.





8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a momentous time for you. Endings and new beginnings for your big boys and you. I'm so intrigued by your writings and the way you dream about them. So glad to see you are back on the blog in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zena. It is nice to be back. I think I will only ever be a sporadic poster, at best, but I do care about this little space. If I feel like I have something worth sharing, I'll be here!

      Delete
  2. I am excited for you!! Can't wait to hear more about your novel. Your children are so gorgeous. Hope they have a lovey first week back at school xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I'm excited too! Hope your girls have a good week back at school too. xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Its a deal! When do you get here? xx

      Delete
  4. Alison, this is so incredibly exciting!!! Go you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited - the muse has kissed you!

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.