Tuesday, 9 August 2016

Red Dirt


I'm trying to hold on to that sense of expansiveness that comes with a break in routine and an open horizon. But it is hard not to feel hemmed in when most of my days of late have been spent wrapped in layers of wool; hot water bottles and rugs placed strategically around my body and the heater struggling to keep our house just warm enough. The photos help my body to remember a warmer time and place, where anything seemed possible.

We washed a week of salt water and sand from our skin in an artesian hot tub, then smoked ourselves in front of the campfire, roasting apples and jacket potatoes and marshmallows on sticks. We climbed to the highest point in the Murchison and looked across the vast plains, where burrowing bees build little nests in the ground from the red dirt. The kids tore around in a frenzy of excitement when they awoke to find their tent capped with frost, a taste of what was waiting for us back home.

There has been snow on the mountains again this week. One day I'll drag the kids up there to play in the faint dusting that falls once or twice each year. Right now, keeping warm is more of a priority. I'm baking bread, simmering soup, and filling little bellies with warm citrus puddings and hot lemon drinks. And I'm writing, slowly but surely finding the words to tell this story.








6 comments:

  1. It has been cold hasn't it?! We've had what I feel is a real winter here, with actual rain, regularly!! I am ready for some sun. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a real, old fashioned winter. And I am grateful for all the rain but I really don't think the ground can soak up any more. The paddocks are all waterlogged and we are feeling a bit soggy. We are like lizards as soon as the sun comes out. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, it's amazing how different it can be just across the Tasman - over here we've had a pretty easy winter, not too cold except for the past couple of weeks when it snowed.. But I do get a wonderful sense of warmth from your photos - both temperature wise and emotionally too. Keep warm xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess its all relative. You might not find it too cold here, but I suspect that your houses are built to better withstand the cold across the ditch. The sun came out today and we have spent the whole day in the garden. It feels wonderful! Lovely to hear from you Miss G. xx

      Delete
  4. Ah the house thing and cold, Australia just doesn't do it right does it. Six layers of clothing inside is a bit odd surely?? Winter seemed long and cold here, with a lovely week of spring type weather just a few days ago though. Today, back to 10C in my kitchen in the middle of the day. The whippet is under a blanket refusing to move, I met yet join her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten degrees in the kitchen does seem a tad cold. Bake more bread, I say! We have had our bedroom down as low as seven on waking. It is ridiculously cold. I'm climbing back into bed right now to warm up next to my little girl.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do appreciate them all.